Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Food, Food, and More FOOD

It seems that I have been obsessed lately with food, particularly what I'm feeding my baby girl. I've been making super yummy homemade foods, starting with the basics of banana and apple puree and then I went on to making over combos that are yummy like carrot, orange juice, leeks and unsalted butter. A friend of mine recommended a great book that I bought and it has helped tremendously with mixing up new recipes for Gracie. It's called Top 100 Baby Purees. I'm in a funky transition period now though where she wants to eat more foods that we are, but she isn't always ready for the texture or we haven't gotten used to making solid foods that she can eat (no seasonings, etc.). She also tries to choke if I have to big of bites on her tray. She only has two bottom teeth at the moment, so I'm hoping it will be easier for her to eat solids when her top ones come in. I also went on a hiatus from reading too many articles regarding rice cereal and the studies they have found that have high levels of arsenic in them. See this article, small amounts but it still worries me! They say the amounts vary, but I just wasn't comfortable with that. So, it's a good time as any to start transitioning into foods prepared by us but I'm finding it difficult to get into the routine. She really does love to feed herself though, and she refuses my purees more and more. Finger foods are key, I'm always trying to mix it up with a starch, a veggie and a fruit. Sometimes I throw in a meat if we have some prepared that isn't too seasoned, etc. What do other mommies out there do? How do you take the step from pureed to full on toddler foods? :) I'm open for suggestions! Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing... I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment