Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Allergies

There are so many things I have worried about as a new mom, and of course these worries change weekly, daily, heck sometimes even hourly. She is always growing and exploring and doing something new, so of course there is always something she is getting into or trying out for the first time. Although I have come to enjoy her recent independence, it has come with a whole new set of things to watch for. Now that she is one, it's also nice that I can lighten up so much more on what she eats. It's so nice that she can drink cows milk for example, but I'm still limited on what she can chew since she only has two tiny bottom teeth still. For the most part, we have really begun to get into a routine at home with our little miss. That is, until a few weeks ago when she had an allergic reaction at daycare. We thought we identified what it was that was causing the red rash on her face, head and a little on her body, but we weren't 100%. Well, today at daycare we have finally figured it out... the hard way. I checked in through text message and asked for a picture. A few minutes later I get a picture of my sweet girls face all red and a little puffy. It turns out she had a tiny piece of orange and it set her off. We thought it was pineapple, but she had had that before. How stressful is that? I started to think about all the oranges I have eaten in life and how often it's in fruit salads, or as an option at different places. I worry about what would happen if she had a ton, if I didn't give her Benadryl, and what else is she allergic too? For example; is she allergic to smoothies or fruit juices that have orange in them? So much to worry about as a parent, and as stressful as this allergy is, I am keeping it into perspective for myself on just how lucky I am that this is such a small issue to deal with and with  so many other problems that there are with children, I really am lucky. This won't stop me from checking on my little woman all night though... I see as a parent I will never truly sleep restfully again! Regardless, I am feeling so blessed to have this special little girl to call my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment